Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Mistake, Where?

One of the cool things I’ve learned from my father, while building things together, is that a mistake is only a mistake when we identify it as such to the rest of the world. The alternative is to make the project look like that’s what you meant it to look like in the first place. You simply go with the mistake and let it define the project. This works in wood because there are millions of ways to join, fill, overlay, widen, shorten, whatever with wood. I’m sure it works in other mediums as well.

What I love about the digital age is the ability to make use of almost any image no matter how bad. To the right is a photo of a leaf I took in haste and failed to get in focus. This is why I never delete photos when I am out, I only do that after I have them in the computer and have had time to play/work with them.
After sharpening the photo as much as I could, I then used the color wheel to raise the intensity of the photo. Next I ran through all the different filters I have in my software. I like the one called “Cut-Out”. This makes the picture look like it was made of construction paper. It looks at all the colors in the photo and reduces it to a chosen few. I chose 8 levels, this gave me a more interesting photo and made the focus issue obsolete. The second filter I added is called “Poster” this highlights the edges. The last thing I did was to over lay the shadow of a hand from another photo. This gives the image a bit more of a story.


Title- A Find

Okay, okay, as much as I’d like to say there are no mistakes I know there are times when yes the project or event is destroyed and we can’t make it work. For those of us who are good at making mistakes and yet still strive for perfection, we dream of the day when all the mistake-pointer-outers will say “ oh look you have a wonderful opportunity to go in a whole new direction, you are so lucky, I wish I could screw up as good as you”.
Until then keep your glue handy, your eraser clean, and your software up to date.

Juff oops!

See my latest Photos at
http://www.jlcarrollimages.webs.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment