Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Branching Out

Whenever I need something to reconnect me to the cosmos, a creator, a higher power, a god (whatever word you use) I look to the tree. The tree for me is the ultimate symbol that the creator moves with me, through me and beyond me. The tree reaches into the earth and draws its energy and at the same time reaches into the sky receiving and drawing what it needs from the sun and atmosphere. At the same time it provides a place for life of all kinds to dwell and flourish among its branches, its roots as well as with in its own body at times. The tree does all this care giving while filtering our air and contributing to keeping the earth cool.


I have been incorporating tree images into my art work for many years. I must admit I live with a certain amount of guilt for cutting down trees to make images of trees, but I chose the mediums and then the images came.


For me the strongest aspect of the tree symbolism is that of "reaching out to connect". From the ends of the roots deep in the ground up through the trunk, out the branches to the tips of the leaves the tree is a complete story of connection. As we stand back looking at the tree we feel the sun beating down and see the branches reaching out to connect with the energy coming from millions of miles away. For me the tree holds the whole story, I am here to connect, and I am just beginning to understand that, as is the world. It is a little overwhelming and leads to more questions. So this becomes another topic for future thoughts (blogs). For now pay attention to trees. They will speak to you, but you're going to need to be connected to hear.

The tree wall
was an attempt to give an
office space an organic feel.







Wood Cut Titled "Reach"
This couple from my swathe collection are wrapped in a spiritual energy that I feel (I see) moving between all creatures.


Questions on "Reaching out to connect":

  • Is the Internet real connection?
  • How do I connect with out the Internet?
  • How do I connect and not loose my sense of self?
  • Do we all have to be talking to each other to be connected?
  • Must we all be on the same page to be connected?
  • Does true connection always need a spiritual presence?
  • Which comes first connection or love? Do we need to love before we can connect or will connections lead us to love?
  • I got more! But I'll stop for now.

Jeff can you hear me now?

Links to articals on the spirituality of trees

Trees are earth's endless effort to speak to the listening heaven - Rabindranath Tagore
http://academic.evergreen.edu/n/nadkarnn/cv/pdfs_new/Nadkarni;%20Dharma%20News%202002.pdf

Trees at my window, window tree

My sash is lowered when night comes on;

But let there never be a curtian drawn

Between you and me. - Robert Frost

http://www.uufhc.net/s001105.html

To see more of my tree images visit the link to my sculpture page. http://www.jkcwood.com/Sculpture.html

No comments:

Post a Comment