Thursday, March 18, 2010

What is that on the ceiling?

All right what are we looking at now?

One day I had this piece of wood left over and I started drawing lines on it. Then I took the saw and started cutting the shapes out. Once I had all the pieces cut out I drilled a few holes and doweled them together and hung it up.

Why? Sometimes I work with a material with a vision or a theme
in mind, but in this case I just worked the material in hopes of being surprised. I will probably make more at some point cause I had fun doing it. Right now I keep drawing images that are moving outward, arms reaching to connect or find, seeking, probing, not sure where it’s going but I will keep playing with the idea. What I find is that each little creative endeavor like this takes me a little further along whatever path I’m on. Am I making sense? I guess all I’m saying is playing with a fragment of an idea can move you one step closer to a complete project. Too much of the time I forget to play and my thought process jumps right to trying to picture the final product. That leads to creative block most of the time. So play! It is the most productive thing you can do.

Jeff at play

Here is a link to a great article on creativity and play and overcoming creative blocks
http://anartistinbrooklyn.wordpress.com/2009/07/10/creative-blocks-and-play/

No comments:

Post a Comment