Friday, January 29, 2010

over, under, around both ways

This is something I do from time to time. I will take an image or object and very quickly (quickly is my choice to keep me from over thinking) record every thought or word that comes into my head onto paper. I recommend you get one of these blank books and tape a photo or a magazine picture or even do your own doodling in it and then write down what jumps at you. never hold back on what comes, just put it down. Below is an example with one of my own photos and two minutes of output time. This is great exercise for both writing and just relaxing.Over, under, both ways around
look and go
know what we have done
wonder, awe
movement, power in cold steel
carried
I have been this way many times before

I have been all these ways.
across, through, below, above
stepping through sky
structure holds and gives
gives as needed
gives passage
I am crossing, over
to a distant point
any point too this
too, to
too moving, going
there
over, under, both ways around


Okay, first of all I do not time myself at this. I am only guessing it was about two minutes. This is one of those process activities. You are not trying to create a product, Just let the words flow out and be random. Our culture is so focused on product we forget to allow the process to have the time it needs and wants. If this was painting I was talking about these would be called studies.
What I am doing is a version of what is called Free Writing, but I've added the image thing to it. Here is a link to a page about Free Writing http://web.mst.edu/~gdoty/classes/concepts-practices/free-writing.html


Jeff is a word


No comments:

Post a Comment