Sunday, January 10, 2010

Fabricating Moments



Sometimes I fabricate moments digitally. Yes I take photos and combine them to create a new or completely unreal moment. This I call play. I started doing this as an exercise in spontaneity. The idea was to put images together quickly without really thinking about it and discover (or be surprised about) what I’d find in the combined images. My hope was this would impact my song writing, helping me to just write, not over thinking, and trust that I would find songs if I just wrote volume. It was kind of a cross training idea for art. I think it worked, but what I also got was images that evoked all kinds of ideas. The images themselves also provided ideas for writing songs and emotional exploration.


The key here I found was play. If you play with stuff you discover more and more ideas. Sometimes I layer video just to see what combined moving images come out of two or more clips. I love to take the scrapes of wood from my paid projects and create sculpture. This of course makes it difficult to throw anything away and that is a topic for another blog entry.

Play is a pathway to the creative spirit that connects us all.


Made up,
Jeff


Here is a link to more of my photo fabrications.
http://jlcarroll.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=1999826

No comments:

Post a Comment