Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Boxes Today, Only Boxes


I need to make drawers today. Yes 4 drawers to go in a cabinet I am working on. In my life as a woodworker I’ve made many drawers. But you see drawers are boxes and I get tired of making boxes. The excuse I’ll use for my procrastination is that boxes do not feed me artistically. This is not really true; building a box is a wonderful thing. Cause if you can build a box you can go on to build many things. The box is like the spiritual center of woodworking. Everything else the woodworker builds is somehow an extension of the box. The table is a box turned upside down with the sides cut out for our legs to slide under. The chair is the box with one side extended higher for a place to lean on. Most of our artwork is displayed in boxes, we call them frames. Boxes are for many of us our homes and dwelling places. So the box is sacred.


So here is my real problem. It’s just the getting started. In my mind are all those pieces and all the dimensions I have to figure out. I’ll come clean I’ve made mistakes before (only a few hundred, not a lot) and have had to redo parts or sometimes whole drawers. Now I know “measure twice cut once” I do that but the reality is a dyslexic can look twice and make the same visual error two times. I am at the mercy of the way my brain and eyes work together, so mistakes are common to me. This is why it is a proven fact that many dyslexics like to work in an environment by themselves so no one can see them make mistakes. Now this wouldn’t be a problem if we did not have a monetary system and I had no time constraints in my life. No worries about wasted material or reduction of my hourly wage, due to building something two times.

So perhaps the struggle is accepting my mistakes as part of the process. My mind is always going to be a hindrance so my spirit will need to compensate. This is my challenge today in starting my boxes. I am making a sacred thing. Can I allow myself to stumble in the process and still hold divinity? I might be thinking about this way too deeply. I’d better get to work.
Jeff then.

"I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that won’t work!"

Thomas A. Edison


Jeffrey covered in dust!
Visit http://www.jkcwood.com/ to see all my wood working.

No comments:

Post a Comment