Wednesday, January 27, 2010

First look at the edge


I crept to the edge
and looked over
and in that moment knew
the creator had dreamed me,
to fly.


I photographed this amazing creature last fall in northern New Jersey. The first thought that came to me when I looked at the photo is what I wrote above. It got me thinking about edges again. Yes I've thought about edges before. In fact we all do. It's not always conscious. The edge is that place or point in time where we have to make a choice.

I find in my woodworking I am dealing with edges on many levels. Sometimes I am knocking down edges to make a item more comfortable to touch. Other times I am multiplying edges to create more interesting detail. Often in my more abstract work I will draw a line (an edge) on the wood to cut with a saw. The grain of the wood will often try to walk the blade in a different direction than down my line. I have to then decide how much do I fight for control or do I let the blade come and go from the line. Sometimes I have let in flow and found I really like what came out. Other times I have fought for the edge I defined. The problem with fighting is that it creates more friction and that means a hotter blade and burns in the wood that then require time for sanding to heal the wounds. See any parallels to life here? The edge can be a place of conflict or joy. Although it is not always an either or situation.

As I see the world, there are those of us drawn to edges and those of us who would like to avoid them altogether. I may reach an edge before you do and leave you wondering why I am holding back. These edges are physical, emotional, intellectual as well as social and I feel the place where they all come together might be spiritual.

I think at this point I am going to make "edges" one of those returning focus point in my blog. From time to time I will try and share more of my thinking on this topic. For now I leave you with the link below to one of my favorite stories "Jumping Mouse" By Hyemeyohsts Storm. See if this story speaks to you of edges.


Please let me know if the link does not work.

Jeff on edge


No comments:

Post a Comment