Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Lines and Spaces

All winter I have been coming and going from a large furniture project that has at times overwhelmed my level of woodworking skill. This is good. It is good to be challenged. The fun part of the job has been the accent on the side panels of the furniture I am creating. I'll be sure to post pictures in the future of the finished products.

For years my thing has been to find ways to put a bit of organic-ness into every wood structure I create. Okay yes, how much more organic can you get than working in wood in the first place? What I am talking about is that I really do not enjoy straight line I prefer irregular and non symmetrical. If you look at my portfolio you'll see what I mean. I can do the square and true work and it's wonderful, but I am happiest running my jig saw through a large piece of plywood with no line to follow just popping out abstract it is extremely freeing.

This image is a sample I did of the accent that will adorn the furniture when it is complete

Now with this furniture project I am playing with line and space. the cuts add a fluid accent to an otherwise square piece of furniture. There is this feeling of movement, growth or change. There is a positive or negative to it depending on your experience and perspective. You might see growth as something pregnant or expanding, bringing new life or you may see a tumor, an invader of a destructive nature. Either way the accents on these pieces of furniture will reflect the natural world, as was my intent.

These images show a chair back and a closeup of the same back before it has been sanded and finished. The lightest wood is Ash. The mid tone is oak and the dark is Walnut.

This shows a more defined accent in the same style finished. to see more of this follow the link to my web.   http://www.jkcwood.com/Bigoak.html                        Jeff in the sawdust


No comments:

Post a Comment