Wednesday, April 28, 2010

turn it around

Sometimes reversing your thinking can help creativity. I just posted a free write on my “just notions” blog (this blog is now closed. See May 26th post on this blog for reprint) that begins with the phrase, “Climbing up from my soul”. So often we search for the soul with in, so in this moment I imaged the soul as something I was in and needed or wanted to come out from. Perhaps we are in the soul instead of the soul being in us. This will allow me to write or create from a different perspective.

Instead of writing about the things you see, be the things you see and write about them looking at you. It’s also fun to think and then write totally out of your character. Try it you don’t have to share it with the world but it will stretch you.
I reached one of the walls of my soul today
It was in a state of decay
The lines on the fungus spoke to me
Of how long it would be
Before I could break through
“Not long now!”
“Soon it will crumble”
“Then you can push through”
I tapped the wood
Still firm
I would wait
For the fungus
To do more damage
Before I push
---------

The work of decay is complicated.
It seems to me like fungus would get a lot more done
If it paid a little more attention to the work
And spent a little less time on appearance.
Pretty don’t get’er done.
Jeff Not Me

No comments:

Post a Comment